Are you driven? Busy all the time? Squeezing in the last email or a quick clear up before bed. Multitasking is your way of life. Listening to your other half or kids, whilst eating your breakfast and drying your hair. Catching up on your TV viewing whilst ironing or doing your filing. Reading 3 books at once and hardly taking any of them in. Groceries arriving by delivery from a favourites list each week.
Sound familiar? Hmmmm how’s that working out for you? Do you find yourself brimming full of energy, bouncing out of bed ready and raring to get going with you day? Or perhaps you struggle to find the motivation and effort necessary to keep juggling all your tasks, responsibilities and your change actions.
Training programmes for elite sportspeople incorporate variety, focus AND recovery days, which include treats, relaxation and restorative activities. Bankers, hedge fund managers and city professionals are fitting in mindfulness practice into their hours at desks. Yoga pods and corporate fitness classes are popping up at workplaces near you……actually, what are you doing to build in some self-care into your life?
Nourishing yourself – body and mind – is key to achieving your life goals, building a career you love and relationships that count as well as maintaining your health and fitness.
I certainly notice when my self-care goes out the window. I’m grouchy and snappy due to a lack of proper sleep. My tummy bloats out ridiculously as I eat badly. My body feels heavy and doesn’t enjoy Pilates classes. I struggle to make decisions and easily distract myself from the task in hand.
So this week I’m pledging to add more self care into my life and nourish me. I’ve brainstormed a giant list of possible ways and challenge you to pick a few to add to your week.
- Take a walk or bike ride (fancy a challenge? Do it for charity – we’ve signed up here)
- Visit the beach
- A looooong bath at the end of the day
- Big green smoothies to start the day
- Finding overgrown grass and putting my bare feet in it
- Lying outside and staring up at the sky
- Cooking my favourite meal (tom kha soup with extra tofu a la Rosa’s)
- Get up early and watch the sunrise
- Read an inspirational book
- Re-read an old favourite
- Write a gratitude diary
- Play with my dogs (ok this one is future tense!)
- Snuggle up with someone dear
- Go somewhere new
- Try new things in general – food, activity, workspace
- Play music and do the kitchen dance (or invent your own family dance moves)
- Meet a friend
- Eat your 5 a day in fruit and veggies
- Be super present in the moment
- Get more sleep
- Stop multitasking
- Schedule me time everyday
- Do some sports – Pilates, yoga, gym class, run (Fancy these at your workplace? Arrange them with Sally at Stretching the City)
- Visit the hairdressers
- Paint your toes
- Get a really good sports massage (I recommend Physio in the City’s brilliant team)
- Bake a cake
- Paint or knit or sew
- Learn something new – do a class (try entheos)
- Set new personal limits for myself
- Indulge in a little retail therapy
- Enjoy my morning coffee or afternoon tea break
- Take a multivitamin and probiotic
- Ditch the lightbulbs and use candles for mood lighting
- Ditch the alarm clock
- Do a crossword or sudoku puzzle
- Buy a small box of expensive handmade chocolate
- See a movie
- Breath deeply
- Pick or buy some bright blooms
- Write a postcard or letter to your nan
- Plant herbs outside your windows
- Practice mindfulness
- Order a posh cocktail
- Let the wind blow through your hair
- Download eclectic playlists from Spotify
- See a band or orchestra play live
- Join a bookclub
- Dress up (inspiration – #StylemeMay via Dean Street Society)
- Laugh out loud
- Cry until your nose runs
- Take a hot shower
- Volunteer at a local charity
- Play being a tourist in your town, village or city
- Turn off all laptops, phones and ipads at least 60 minutes before bedtime
- Read the Sunday papers from cover to cover in bed
- See play or musical
- Download and display an inspirational poem, quote or image.
- Reading blogs from people who are honest and care about you (i.e. mine 🙂 )
Crikey – Think that gives me and you plenty to choose from and show ourselves more self-care.
Pick just a few and let me know in the comments what difference it makes to your life, your head, your heart and your body this week. Or have you got another nourishment to add to the list? Pop it in the comments too.